Although bed bugs have a reputation for seeking out unhygienic places, the truth is that bed bugs can set up housekeeping in even the cleanest homes. These tiny parasites thrive in dark, damp environments with access to organic matter like wood, skin cells and/or newspaper, and they can exist in any temperature below 120 degrees. Homes in multi-unit buildings are particularly susceptible. As eradicating these bugs can cost up to $1,200, the best plan is to prevent them for invading your living space. Fortunately, there are several easy and affordable things you can do to keep bed bugs away.
Tips for preventing bed bugs
1. Be diligent about cleaning your bedding. Don't stop at just washing your sheets and comforter regularly. Make it a habit to also launder your bed skirt, mattress cover, pillow shams and other fabric around your sleeping area. Those skin cells that we all shed at night can attract bed bugs.
2. Ditch those newspapers. Like termites, bed bugs are attracted to organic matter like newspapers and magazines. Get rid of those piles of papers you're never going to finish.
3. Be careful what you bring home with you. Hotels are notorious for harboring bed bugs. To avoid bringing these unwanted souvenirs home from your vacation, keep your luggage up off of the hotel room floor, but away from the bed. It's also a good idea to unpack in an area like a garage or a back patio if you can.
4. Inspect your laptop and other electronics periodically. Bed bugs like warmth, so your laptop and other electronics can be enticing to them. Make sure to inspect your dataports, computers and DSL connections.
5. Don't buy previously-owned upholstered furniture. As lovely as that upholstered chair or couch in the second hand store may be, you're taking a chance on bringing home other people's bugs if you buy it. Best to stick with wooden furniture at such shops.
6. Wash previously-owned clothing immediately. Bed bugs can also hitch a ride on those garage sale shirts and pants you bring home. Take them right to the washing machine to avoid any of those hitchhikers from stopping off in your living spaces.
If you find that, despite your best efforts, bed bugs have set up housekeeping in your home, it's time to call a professional pest control company like Cavanaugh's Professional Termite & Pest Services. It requires special training and equipment to effectively rid your home of these pesky creatures.Share
11 February 2015
Apartment living can be a trial sometimes. Even the best apartment complexes can have problems, such as noisy neighbors. I experienced this firsthand with my newest neighbors. Between their partying and trashy existence, I was ready to go crazy. Late one night when they were being particularly noisy, I started researching my rights as a tenant. I found out I did not have to live with their inconsiderate behavior. As a public service, I decided to help others through this blog with their neighbor problems. Whether you are dealing with a landlord that will not do any repairs or bad neighbors, I can help.